Here below is a technique adapted from the ceremonial magick order The Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn which teaches how to harmonize with the magickal element Water. This helps to become aware of and be in control of this element in our daily lives.
1) Each of the four elements have aspects of temperature - cool or warm - and humidity - dry or moist. Water has the qualities of being cool and moist.
Observe those things around you that have the combined qualities of coolness and moistness. Remember, all of these elemental qualities are relative. When an oven is prepared wherein something is being baked, sometimes there is a warm or hot blast of damp air so it wouldn't seem to have the quality of coolness along with the moistness. However, it is much cooler and moister than the heat from a smelting furnace. Therefore, the oven has more of the element of Water than does the smelting furnace. See if you can determine the relative watery qualities as you experience them. Make a list of these things. Take your time; do this for one week.
2) Remove your clothes and enter a pool or bath where the water is cool. If you have access to a lake or river, this would be best. Submerge yourself in the water as much as possible.
Begin by doing the Relaxation Ritual. Thanks to the buoyant quality of water you will find this quite easy to do. Next, become very aware of your breath. As you do this you will find that your breath will automatically slow down. Notice the way the air feels as it comes in through your nose, goes down your air pipe and into your lungs. Sense or imagine the interchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide within your lungs, and feel the CO2 laden air as it goes out of your lungs, through your air pipe and out your nose and mouth.
Now imagine that your entire body is nothing but a large breathing apparatus. Imagine that every part of your body has only the function of breathing. Know that your skin is a vital part of your system. As you breathe in air, imagine that every pore of your body is breathing in elemental Water. Feel it as it washes in and out of you, flushing the impurities from your entire body. Do not confuse elemental Water with physical water or you may feel a "drowning" sensation. If this happens, stop this exercise immediately and try it again another time.
Experiment with this exercise at different times of the day, and if possible, at different locations. Water is not very compressible, but it is very changeable. Try to experience it in its many variations. Do this daily for a week.
3) Spend up to three minutes once a day imagining that you are the element Water. Feel the fluidity, the coolness, the refreshing moistness of the elemental Waters. Become Water. If you study astrology, compare what you learn about the element of Water with the astrological Water signs (Cancer, Scorpio, and Pisces). Become familiar with water in all of its various appearances. Know what water feels like; what water is. Do this for one week.
4) Once you've learned how to "be Water", the next step is to learn how to consciously control Water. Take a moment and imagine yourself to be Water. Bring the feeling from Step 3 into your consciousness. Next, hold your hands 9 to 12 inches apart, palms facing each other. Visualize a bottle, cylinder, or small cask between your hands. Inhale. As you exhale, visualize all of the Water element which is in you going out with your breath and into the container between your hands. Four to seven breaths is usually enough to fill it. Once it is filled, observe it for a short time. Then, with three breaths, inhale it back into yourself and go back to normal consciousness.
5) This will allow you to see whether or not you really have become
not only in harmony with Water, but also if you are able to control the
The next time you feel hardheaded, unwilling to change, overly tense with your muscles hard as a rock (which are signs of shortage in yourself of Water), form your Water container as in Step 4. Then, with one big inhalation, draw the contents of the container back into you. Within five minutes you should be more relaxed and reasonable.
The next time you are being pushed around, are acting "wishy-washy", etc. (which are signs of excess in yourself of Air), again form your Water container; only this time, visualize a large black hole in the air before you and throw the container into that hole. Quickly see the hole close. You should feel less overly flexible and not as liable to allow others to take advantage of you in a few minutes, but you may have to repeat this a few times to have complete success.