The Holy Bible - The New King James Version - Luke
Sorry - Audio recording/editing still in progress.
Please be patient
while we catch up with you.
- Inasmuch as many have taken in hand to set in order a narrative of those
things which have been fulfilled among us,
- Just as those who from the beginning were eyewitnesses and ministers of
the word delivered them to us,
- It seemed good to me also, having had perfect understanding of all things
from the very first, to write to you an orderly account, most excellent
- That you may know the certainty of those things in which you were
- There was in the days of Herod, the king of Judea, a certain priest named
Zacharias, of the division of Abijah. His wife was of the daughters of Aaron,
and her name was Elizabeth.
- And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments
and ordinances of the Lord blameless.
- But they had no child, because Elizabeth was barren, and they were both
well advanced in years.
- So it was, that while he was serving as priest before God in the order of
- According to the custom of the priesthood, his lot fell to burn incense
when he went into the temple of the Lord.
- And the whole multitude of the people was praying outside at the hour of
- Then an angel of the Lord appeared to him, standing on the right side of
the altar of incense.
- And when Zacharias saw him, he was troubled, and fear fell upon him.
- But the angel said to him, "Do not be afraid, Zacharias, for your prayer
is heard; and your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you shall call his
- And you will have joy and gladness, and many will rejoice at his birth.
- For he will be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither
wine nor strong drink. He will also be filled with the Holy Spirit, even from
his mother's womb.
- And he will turn many of the children of Israel to the Lord their God.
- He will also go before Him in the spirit and power of Elijah, 'to turn the
hearts of the fathers to the children,' and the disobedient to the wisdom of
the just, to make ready a people prepared for the Lord."
- And Zacharias said to the angel, "How shall I know this? For I am an old
man, and my wife is well advanced in years."
- And the angel answered and said to him, "I am Gabriel, who stands in the
presence of God, and was sent to speak to you and bring you these glad
- But behold, you will be mute and not able to speak until the day these
things take place, because you did not believe my words which will be
fulfilled in their own time."
- And the people waited for Zacharias, and marveled that he lingered so long
in the temple.
- But when he came out, he could not speak to them; and they perceived that
he had seen a vision in the temple, for he beckoned to them and remained
- And so it was, as soon as the days of his service were completed, that he
departed to his own house.
- Now after those days his wife Elizabeth conceived; and she hid herself
five months, saying,
- "Thus the Lord has dealt with me, in the days when He looked on me, to
take away my reproach among people."
- Now in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent by God to a city of
Galilee named Nazareth,
- To a virgin betrothed to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of
David. The virgin's name was Mary.
- And having come in, the angel said to her, "Rejoice, highly favored one,
the Lord is with you; blessed are you among women!"
- But when she saw him, she was troubled at his saying, and considered what
manner of greeting this was.
- Then the angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found
favor with God.
- And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bring forth a Son, and
shall call His name JESUS.
- He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Highest; and the Lord
God will give Him the throne of His father David.
- And He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of His kingdom
there will be no end."
- Then Mary said to the angel, "How can this be, since I do not know a man?"
- And the angel answered and said to her, "The Holy Spirit will come upon
you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you; therefore, also, that
Holy One who is to be born will be called the Son of God.
- Now indeed, Elizabeth your relative has also conceived a son in her old
age; and this is now the sixth month for her who was called barren.
- For with God nothing will be impossible."
- Then Mary said, "Behold the maidservant of the Lord! Let it be to me
according to your word." And the angel departed from her.
- Now Mary arose in those days and went into the hill country with haste, to
a city of Judah,
- And entered the house of Zacharias and greeted Elizabeth.
- And it happened, when Elizabeth heard the greeting of Mary, that the babe
leaped in her womb; and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit.
- Then she spoke out with a loud voice and said, "Blessed are you among
women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb!
- But why is this granted to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to
- For indeed, as soon as the voice of your greeting sounded in my ears, the
babe leaped in my womb for joy.
- Blessed is she who believed, for there will be a fulfillment of those
things which were told her from the Lord."
- And Mary said: "My soul magnifies the Lord,
- And my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior.
- For He has regarded the lowly state of His maidservant; For behold,
henceforth all generations will call me blessed.
- For He who is mighty has done great things for me, And holy is His name.
- And His mercy is on those who fear Him From generation to generation.
- He has shown strength with His arm; He has scattered the proud in the
imagination of their hearts.
- He has put down the mighty from their thrones, And exalted the lowly.
- He has filled the hungry with good things, And the rich He has sent away
- He has helped His servant Israel, In remembrance of His mercy,
- As He spoke to our fathers, To Abraham and to his seed forever."
- And Mary remained with her about three months, and returned to her house.
- Now Elizabeth's full time came for her to be delivered, and she brought
forth a son.
- When her neighbors and relatives heard how the Lord had shown great mercy
to her, they rejoiced with her.
- So it was, on the eighth day, that they came to circumcise the child; and
they would have called him by the name of his father, Zacharias.
- His mother answered and said, "No; he shall be called John."
- But they said to her, "There is no one among your relatives who is called
by this name."
- So they made signs to his father--what he would have him called.
- And he asked for a writing tablet, and wrote, saying, "His name is John."
So they all marveled.
- Immediately his mouth was opened and his tongue loosed, and he spoke,
- Then fear came on all who dwelt around them; and all these sayings were
discussed throughout all the hill country of Judea.
- And all those who heard them kept them in their hearts, saying, "What kind
of child will this be?" And the hand of the Lord was with him.
- Now his father Zacharias was filled with the Holy Spirit, and prophesied,
- "Blessed is the Lord God of Israel, For He has visited and redeemed His
- And has raised up a horn of salvation for us In the house of His servant
- As He spoke by the mouth of His holy prophets, Who have been since the
- That we should be saved from our enemies And from the hand of all who hate
- To perform the mercy promised to our fathers And to remember His holy
- The oath which He swore to our father Abraham:
- To grant us that we, Being delivered from the hand of our enemies, Might
serve Him without fear,
- In holiness and righteousness before Him all the days of our life.
- And you, child, will be called the prophet of the Highest; For you will go
before the face of the Lord to prepare His ways,
- To give knowledge of salvation to His people By the remission of their
- Through the tender mercy of our God, With which the Dayspring from on high
has visited us;
- To give light to those who sit in darkness and the shadow of death, To
guide our feet into the way of peace."
- So the child grew and became strong in spirit, and was in the deserts till
the day of his manifestation to Israel.
Back to BRI homepage
Back to TIM Audio