The Holy Bible - The New King James Version - Luke
Sorry - Audio recording/editing still in progress.
Please be patient
while we catch up with you.
- Now it came to pass, as He was praying in a certain place, when He ceased,
that one of His disciples said to Him, "Lord, teach us to pray, as John also
taught his disciples."
- So He said to them, "When you pray, say: Our Father in heaven, Hallowed be
Your name. Your kingdom come. Your will be done On earth as it is in heaven.
- Give us day by day our daily bread.
- And forgive us our sins, For we also forgive everyone who is indebted to
us. And do not lead us into temptation, But deliver us from the evil one."
- And He said to them, "Which of you shall have a friend, and go to him at
midnight and say to him, 'Friend, lend me three loaves;
- For a friend of mine has come to me on his journey, and I have nothing to
set before him';
- And he will answer from within and say, 'Do not trouble me; the door is
now shut, and my children are with me in bed; I cannot rise and give to you'?
- I say to you, though he will not rise and give to him because he is his
friend, yet because of his persistence he will rise and give him as many as he
- "So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will
find; knock, and it will be opened to you.
- For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who
knocks it will be opened.
- If a son asks for bread from any father among you, will he give him a
stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent instead of a fish?
- Or if he asks for an egg, will he offer him a scorpion?
- If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how
much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask
- And He was casting out a demon, and it was mute. So it was, when the demon
had gone out, that the mute spoke; and the multitudes marveled.
- But some of them said, "He casts out demons by Beelzebub, the ruler of the
- Others, testing Him, sought from Him a sign from heaven.
- But He, knowing their thoughts, said to them: "Every kingdom divided
against itself is brought to desolation, and a house divided against a house
- If Satan also is divided against himself, how will his kingdom stand?
Because you say I cast out demons by Beelzebub.
- And if I cast out demons by Beelzebub, by whom do your sons cast them out?
Therefore they will be your judges.
- But if I cast out demons with the finger of God, surely the kingdom of God
has come upon you.
- When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in
- But when a stronger than he comes upon him and overcomes him, he takes
from him all his armor in which he trusted, and divides his spoils.
- He who is not with Me is against Me, and he who does not gather with Me
- "When an unclean spirit goes out of a man, he goes through dry places,
seeking rest; and finding none, he says, 'I will return to my house from which
- And when he comes, he finds it swept and put in order.
- Then he goes and takes with him seven other spirits more wicked than
himself, and they enter and dwell there; and the last state of that man is
worse than the first."
- And it happened, as He spoke these things, that a certain woman from the
crowd raised her voice and said to Him, "Blessed is the womb that bore You,
and the breasts which nursed You!"
- But He said, "More than that, blessed are those who hear the word of God
and keep it!"
- And while the crowds were thickly gathered together, He began to say,
"This is an evil generation. It seeks a sign, and no sign will be given to it
except the sign of Jonah the prophet.
- For as Jonah became a sign to the Ninevites, so also the Son of Man will
be to this generation.
- The queen of the South will rise up in the judgment with the men of this
generation and condemn them, for she came from the ends of the earth to hear
the wisdom of Solomon; and indeed a greater than Solomon is here.
- The men of Nineveh will rise up in the judgment with this generation and
condemn it, for they repented at the preaching of Jonah; and indeed a greater
than Jonah is here.
- "No one, when he has lit a lamp, puts it in a secret place or under a
basket, but on a lampstand, that those who come in may see the light.
- The lamp of the body is the eye. Therefore, when your eye is good, your
whole body also is full of light. But when your eye is bad, your body also is
full of darkness.
- Therefore take heed that the light which is in you is not darkness.
- If then your whole body is full of light, having no part dark, the whole
body will be full of light, as when the bright shining of a lamp gives you
- And as He spoke, a certain Pharisee asked Him to dine with him. So He went
in and sat down to eat.
- When the Pharisee saw it, he marveled that He had not first washed before
- Then the Lord said to him, "Now you Pharisees make the outside of the cup
and dish clean, but your inward part is full of greed and wickedness.
- Foolish ones! Did not He who made the outside make the inside also?
- But rather give alms of such things as you have; then indeed all things
are clean to you.
- But woe to you Pharisees! For you tithe mint and rue and all manner of
herbs, and pass by justice and the love of God. These you ought to have done,
without leaving the others undone.
- Woe to you Pharisees! For you love the best seats in the synagogues and
greetings in the marketplaces.
- Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like graves
which are not seen, and the men who walk over them are not aware of them."
- Then one of the lawyers answered and said to Him, "Teacher, by saying
these things You reproach us also."
- And He said, "Woe to you also, lawyers! For you load men with burdens hard
to bear, and you yourselves do not touch the burdens with one of your fingers.
- Woe to you! For you build the tombs of the prophets, and your fathers
- In fact, you bear witness that you approve the deeds of your fathers; for
they indeed killed them, and you build their tombs.
- Therefore the wisdom of God also said, 'I will send them prophets and
apostles, and some of them they will kill and persecute,'
- That the blood of all the prophets which was shed from the foundation of
the world may be required of this generation,
- From the blood of Abel to the blood of Zechariah who perished between the
altar and the temple. Yes, I say to you, it shall be required of this
- Woe to you lawyers! For you have taken away the key of knowledge. You did
not enter in yourselves, and those who were entering in you hindered."
- And as He said these things to them, the scribes and the Pharisees began
to assail Him vehemently, and to cross-examine Him about many things,
- Lying in wait for Him, and seeking to catch Him in something He might say,
that they might accuse Him.
Back to BRI homepage
Back to TIM Audio