The Holy Bible - The New King James Version - Mark
- Then He arose from there and came to the region of Judea by the other side
of the Jordan. And multitudes gathered to Him again, and as He was accustomed,
He taught them again.
- The Pharisees came and asked Him, "Is it lawful for a man to divorce his
wife?" testing Him.
- And He answered and said to them, "What did Moses command you?"
- They said, "Moses permitted a man to write a certificate of divorce, and
to dismiss her."
- And Jesus answered and said to them, "Because of the hardness of your
heart he wrote you this precept.
- But from the beginning of the creation, God 'made them male and female.'
- 'For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to
- And the two shall become one flesh'; so then they are no longer two, but
- Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate."
- In the house His disciples also asked Him again about the same matter.
- So He said to them, "Whoever divorces his wife and marries another commits
adultery against her.
- And if a woman divorces her husband and marries another, she commits
- Then they brought little children to Him, that He might touch them; but
the disciples rebuked those who brought them.
- But when Jesus saw it, He was greatly displeased and said to them, "Let
the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the
kingdom of God.
- Assuredly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a
little child will by no means enter it."
- And He took them up in His arms, put His hands on them, and blessed them.
- Now as He was going out on the road, one came running, knelt before Him,
and asked Him, "Good Teacher, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal
- So Jesus said to him, "Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One,
that is, God.
- You know the commandments: 'Do not commit adultery,' 'Do not murder,' 'Do
not steal,' 'Do not bear false witness,' 'Do not defraud,' 'Honor your father
and your mother.' "
- And he answered and said to Him, "Teacher, all these things I have kept
from my youth."
- Then Jesus, looking at him, loved him, and said to him, "One thing you
lack: Go your way, sell whatever you have and give to the poor, and you will
have treasure in heaven; and come, take up the cross, and follow Me."
- But he was sad at this word, and went away sorrowful, for he had great
- Then Jesus looked around and said to His disciples, "How hard it is for
those who have riches to enter the kingdom of God!"
- And the disciples were astonished at His words. But Jesus answered again
and said to them, "Children, how hard it is for those who trust in riches to
enter the kingdom of God!
- It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich
man to enter the kingdom of God."
- And they were greatly astonished, saying among themselves, "Who then can
- But Jesus looked at them and said, "With men it is impossible, but not
with God; for with God all things are possible."
- Then Peter began to say to Him, "See, we have left all and followed You."
- So Jesus answered and said, "Assuredly, I say to you, there is no one who
has left house or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children
or lands, for My sake and the gospel's,
- Who shall not receive a hundredfold now in this time--houses and brothers
and sisters and mothers and children and lands, with persecutions--and in the
age to come, eternal life.
- But many who are first will be last, and the last first."
- Now they were on the road, going up to Jerusalem, and Jesus was going
before them; and they were amazed. And as they followed they were afraid. Then
He took the twelve aside again and began to tell them the things that would
happen to Him:
- "Behold, we are going up to Jerusalem, and the Son of Man will be betrayed
to the chief priests and to the scribes; and they will condemn Him to death
and deliver Him to the Gentiles;
- And they will mock Him, and scourge Him, and spit on Him, and kill Him.
And the third day He will rise again."
- Then James and John, the sons of Zebedee, came to Him, saying, "Teacher,
we want You to do for us whatever we ask."
- And He said to them, "What do you want Me to do for you?"
- They said to Him, "Grant us that we may sit, one on Your right hand and
the other on Your left, in Your glory."
- But Jesus said to them, "You do not know what you ask. Are you able to
drink the cup that I drink, and be baptized with the baptism that I am
- They said to Him, "We are able." So Jesus said to them, "You will indeed
drink the cup that I drink, and with the baptism I am baptized with you will
- But to sit on My right hand and on My left is not Mine to give, but it is
for those for whom it is prepared."
- And when the ten heard it, they began to be greatly displeased with James
- But Jesus called them to Himself and said to them, "You know that those
who are considered rulers over the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great
ones exercise authority over them.
- Yet it shall not be so among you; but whoever desires to become great
among you shall be your servant.
- And whoever of you desires to be first shall be slave of all.
- For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to
give His life a ransom for many."
- Now they came to Jericho. As He went out of Jericho with His disciples and
a great multitude, blind Bartimaeus, the son of Timaeus, sat by the road
- And when he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to cry out and
say, "Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!"
- Then many warned him to be quiet; but he cried out all the more, "Son of
David, have mercy on me!"
- So Jesus stood still and commanded him to be called. Then they called the
blind man, saying to him, "Be of good cheer. Rise, He is calling you."
- And throwing aside his garment, he rose and came to Jesus.
- So Jesus answered and said to him, "What do you want Me to do for you?"
The blind man said to Him, "Rabboni, that I may receive my sight."
- Then Jesus said to him, "Go your way; your faith has made you well." And
immediately he received his sight and followed Jesus on the road.
Back to BRI homepage
Back to TIM Audio