The Holy Bible - The New King James Version -
- Now after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the
king, behold, wise men from the East came to Jerusalem,
- Saying, "Where is He who has been born King of the Jews? For we have seen
His star in the East and have come to worship Him."
- When Herod the king heard this, he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with
- And when he had gathered all the chief priests and scribes of the people
together, he inquired of them where the Christ was to be born.
- So they said to him, "In Bethlehem of Judea, for thus it is written by the
- 'But you, Bethlehem, in the land of Judah, Are not the least among the
rulers of Judah; For out of you shall come a Ruler Who will shepherd My people
- Then Herod, when he had secretly called the wise men, determined from them
what time the star appeared.
- And he sent them to Bethlehem and said, "Go and search carefully for the
young Child, and when you have found Him, bring back word to me, that I may
come and worship Him also."
- When they heard the king, they departed; and behold, the star which they
had seen in the East went before them, till it came and stood over where the
young Child was.
- When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceedingly great joy.
- And when they had come into the house, they saw the young Child with Mary
His mother, and fell down and worshiped Him. And when they had opened their
treasures, they presented gifts to Him: gold, frankincense, and myrrh.
- Then, being divinely warned in a dream that they should not return to
Herod, they departed for their own country another way.
- Now when they had departed, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to
Joseph in a dream, saying, "Arise, take the young Child and His mother, flee
to Egypt, and stay there until I bring you word; for Herod will seek the young
Child to destroy Him."
- When he arose, he took the young Child and His mother by night and
departed for Egypt,
- And was there until the death of Herod, that it might be fulfilled which
was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying, "Out of Egypt I called My
- Then Herod, when he saw that he was deceived by the wise men, was
exceedingly angry; and he sent forth and put to death all the male children
who were in Bethlehem and in all its districts, from two years old and under,
according to the time which he had determined from the wise men.
- Then was fulfilled what was spoken by Jeremiah the prophet, saying:
- "A voice was heard in Ramah, Lamentation, weeping, and great mourning,
Rachel weeping for her children, Refusing to be comforted, Because they are no
- But when Herod was dead, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared in a dream
to Joseph in Egypt,
- Saying, "Arise, take the young Child and His mother, and go to the land of
Israel, for those who sought the young Child's life are dead."
- Then he arose, took the young Child and His mother, and came into the land
- But when he heard that Archelaus was reigning over Judea instead of his
father Herod, he was afraid to go there. And being warned by God in a dream,
he turned aside into the region of Galilee.
- And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth, that it might be
fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, "He shall be called a Nazarene."
Back to BRI homepage
Back to TIM Audio