The Holy Bible - The New King James Version -
- Then Jesus spoke to the multitudes and to His disciples,
- Saying: "The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat.
- Therefore whatever they tell you to observe, that observe and do, but do
not do according to their works; for they say, and do not do.
- For they bind heavy burdens, hard to bear, and lay them on men's
shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers.
- But all their works they do to be seen by men. They make their
phylacteries broad and enlarge the borders of their garments.
- They love the best places at feasts, the best seats in the synagogues,
- Greetings in the marketplaces, and to be called by men, 'Rabbi, Rabbi.'
- But you, do not be called 'Rabbi'; for One is your Teacher, the Christ,
and you are all brethren.
- Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your Father, He who is
- And do not be called teachers; for One is your Teacher, the Christ.
- But he who is greatest among you shall be your servant.
- And whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself
will be exalted.
- But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you shut up the
kingdom of heaven against men; for you neither go in yourselves, nor do you
allow those who are entering to go in.
- Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you devour widows'
houses, and for a pretense make long prayers. Therefore you will receive
- Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you travel land and sea
to win one proselyte, and when he is won, you make him twice as much a son of
hell as yourselves.
- Woe to you, blind guides, who say, 'Whoever swears by the temple, it is
nothing; but whoever swears by the gold of the temple, he is obliged to
- Fools and blind! For which is greater, the gold or the temple that
sanctifies the gold?
- And, 'Whoever swears by the altar, it is nothing; but whoever swears by
the gift that is on it, he is obliged to perform it.'
- Fools and blind! For which is greater, the gift or the altar that
sanctifies the gift?
- Therefore he who swears by the altar, swears by it and by all things on
- He who swears by the temple, swears by it and by Him who dwells in it.
- And he who swears by heaven, swears by the throne of God and by Him who
sits on it.
- Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you pay tithe of mint
and anise and cummin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law:
justice and mercy and faith. These you ought to have done, without leaving the
- Blind guides, who strain out a gnat and swallow a camel!
- Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you cleanse the outside
of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of extortion and
- Blind Pharisee, first cleanse the inside of the cup and dish, that the
outside of them may be clean also.
- Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like
whitewashed tombs which indeed appear beautiful outwardly, but inside are full
of dead men's bones and all uncleanness.
- Even so you also outwardly appear righteous to men, but inside you are
full of hypocrisy and lawlessness.
- Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! Because you build the tombs
of the prophets and adorn the monuments of the righteous,
- And say, 'If we had lived in the days of our fathers, we would not have
been partakers with them in the blood of the prophets.'
- Therefore you are witnesses against yourselves that you are sons of those
who murdered the prophets.
- Fill up, then, the measure of your fathers' guilt.
- Serpents, brood of vipers! How can you escape the condemnation of hell?
- Therefore, indeed, I send you prophets, wise men, and scribes: some of
them you will kill and crucify, and some of them you will scourge in your
synagogues and persecute from city to city,
- That on you may come all the righteous blood shed on the earth, from the
blood of righteous Abe l to the blood of Zechariah, son of Berechiah, whom you
murdered between the temple and the altar.
- Assuredly, I say to you, all these things will come upon this generation.
- "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the one who kills the prophets and stones those
who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, as a
hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing!
- See! Your house is left to you desolate;
- For I say to you, you shall see Me no more till you say, 'Blessed is He
who comes in the name of the LORD!' "
Back to BRI homepage
Back to TIM Audio