(The Yoga of Divine Glories)
1. The Blessed Lord said: "Yet once more, O Mahahahu, hear My
Supreme word which I, desiring thy welfare, shall speak to thee.
2. "Neither the Devas nor the Rishis know My origin, for I am, in
every respect, the origin of them both.
3. "He among mortals who knows Me as birthless and without
beginning - he, undeluded among mortals, is freed from all sins.
4. "Discrimination, wisdom, freedom from delusion, forgiveness,
self-restraint, inward calm, pleasure, pain, birth, death, fear,
5. "Non-violence, equanimity, contentment, austerity, charity,
fame and even obloquy - verily, all these various attributes of
creatures proceed from Me.
6. "The seven great Rishis and the four ancient Manus were born
of Me through My mind, and of these were born all the creatures in
7. "He who understands the glory of My immanence and My creative
power, gets established in Me through unfaltering devotion; of this
there is no doubt.
8. "I am the source of all and from Me everything evolves and
flows; this knowing, the Wise constantly worship Me with hearts
full of devotion.
9. "With Me always in their thoughts, their lives surrendered to
Me, always speaking of Me and enlightening each other about My
greatness, they remain ever contented taking delight in Me.
10. "To such ones, ever devout and steadfastly worshipping Me
with love, I confer the gift of buddhi yoga which then leads them to
11. "Out of compassion for them, I, dwelling in their hearts,
dispel the darkness of delusion with the bright torch of Wisdom."
12. Arjuna said: "Thou art the Supreme Brahman,
the Supreme Abode, the Supreme Holiness, the Everlasting Celestial
Being, the Primeval God, the Birthless, the Omnipresent,
13. "Thus have all the Rishis - Narada, Asita, Devala and Vyasa -
acclaimed Thee; and now, Thou Thyself proclaimest so to me.
14. "All that Thou tellest me is true, I know, O Kesava; verily,
Lord, neither the gods nor the demons know Thy manifestation.
15. "Truly, Thou alone knowest Thyself, O Purushottama, O Source
of all beings, O Lord and God
of gods, and O Ruler of the Universe.
16. "Condescend to tell me without reserve of Thy Divine Glories
whereby Thou dost pervade these worlds.
17. "How may I, by constant meditation,
know Thee, O Yogin 46
? In what various aspects am I to think of Thee, O Lord?
18. "Recount to me again in full detail, O Janardana, Thy unique
power and Thy Glory; for my ears cannot be sated listening to Thy
nectarine immortal words."
19. The Blessed Lord said: "Yea, I shall unfold to thee, O
Kurusreshta, My Divine Glories - only the most important aspects
though, for there is no limit to their extent.
20. "I am the Atman,
O Gudakesa, seated in the heart
of every being; I alone am the beginning, the middle and also the
end of all beings.
21. "Of the Adityas, I am Vishnu; among the effulgent ones, I am
the radiant Sun; of Maruts, I am Marichi 47
; among the planets, I am the Moon;
22. "Of the Vedas, I am the Saama Veda; among the Devas, I am
Indra; of the senses, I am the mind. I am the consciousness of all
23. "Of the [eleven] Rudras 48
, I am Siva; and among the Yakshas and Rakshasas, I am Kubera
the lord of wealth. Among the [eight] Vasus 49
, I am fire and of the [celestial] mountains, I am the
24. "Among the great priests, know Me to be Brihaspati; among
warrior-chiefs, I am Skanda; and among the waters, I am the
25. "Among the great seers, I am Bhrigu; of words, I am the
among sacrifices, I am Japayajna 50
; and of things immovable, I am the Himalaya.
26. "Of the trees, I am the Ashwattha 51
; among the Divine sages, I am Narada; of the heaven
ly singers, I am Chitraratha, and among the perfected, I am the
27. "Of horses, know Me to be the celestial horse Uccaihsravas
begotten of the churning of the Ocean of Milk; among the mighty
elephants, Airavata, and among men, King.
28. "Of weapons, I am the thunderbolt; among the cows, I am the
celestial cow Kamadhenu; I am also the lord of passion who
stimulates procreation; and among serpents I am Vasuki 52
29. "Of cobras I am Ananta 53
; I am Varuna, the lord of the aquatic creatures; of the
manes, I am Aryama; and of the controllers, I am Yama.
30. "Of Daityas, I am Prahlada; of reckoners, Time; of beasts,
the lion, and of birds, Garuda.
31. "Of purifiers, I am the wind; amongst warriors, I am Rama;
among fishes, I am the shark and of the rivers, I am the Ganges.
32. "O Arjuna, I am the beginning, the middle and the end of all
creations. Of sciences, I am the science of spiritual knowledge; and
I am the oratory of orators.
33. "Of the letters, I am 'A'; in grammar, I am dvanda; I am TIME
itself; and I am the all-pervading Sustainer/Preserver.
34. "I am also the all-devouring death, as well as the source of
all things to be; in feminine virtues I am glory, beauty, speech,
memory, intelligence, constancy, and forgiveness.
35. "Of the hymns of the Saama Veda, I am the Brihat Saaman; of
meter, I am the Gayatri; of the months, I am Margasirsa; and of the
seasons, I am the flowery spring.
36. "I am gambling of the cheats 54
, and the glory of the glorious; I am victory; I am effort;
and I am the purity of the pure.
37. "Among the Vrishnis, I am Vaasudeva; I am Arjuna among the
Pandavas; among the sages, I am Vyasa; and among the Wise, I am
38 "I am the subduing power of those who punish; I am strategy in
those who seek to conquer; I am also the silence of things secret
and I am the Wisdom
of the Wise.
39. "Whatsoever is the seed of all beings, O Arjuna, that am I.
There is no being moving or fixed that can exist without Me.
40. "There is no end to My Divine powers and what I have
described is but a trifling example.
41. "Whatever is glorious, beautiful and mighty, know that all
such has issued from a minuscule part of My infinite and limitless
42. "But why needst thou to learn all this in great detail, O
Arjuna? It suffices for thee to know that I support this entire
Universe with but the tiniest fraction of My unlimited Yogic
Thus in the Bhagavad Gita, the Essence of the Upanishads,
the Science of Brahman,
the Scripture of Yoga, the Dialogue between Sri Krishna and Arjuna,
ends the tenth chapter, entitled:
46One possessed of unique
47Whirlwind among the forty
nine wind gods.
50Or Namasmarana -
repetition of the holy names of God.
51Sacred peepul tree.
52The snake used as a rope for churning the
Ocean of Milk.
thousand-hooded snake on which Narayana rests.
54Gambling of cheats-Every manifestation of
power, glory, or intelligence comes from the Lord. It may be
distorted if the medium of manifestation is wicked or