Here below is a technique adapted from the ceremonial magick order The Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn which teaches how to harmonize with the magickal element Earth. This helps to become aware of and be in control of this element in our daily lives.
1) Each of the four elements have aspects of temperature - cool or warm - and humidity - dry or moist. Earth has the qualities of being dry and cool.
Make a list of things which have the combined qualities of dryness and coolness. However, don't do this just out of your head. Rather, make a list of Earth things that you see each day. Take your time; do this for one week.
2) Go to a place filled with nature, such as a field or park. Even your backyard would be fine. Wear as little clothing as you can (if possible, nudity is best), and sit or lie on the ground so that as much of your skin as possible is touching the ground.
Spend some time contemplating, feeling the coolness and dryness of the Earth. Do this at least three times within a week.
3) Spend up to three minutes once a day imagining that you are the element Earth. Feel the heaviness, the slowness, the coolness and dryness of Earth. Feel the way you can absorb the pains and problems of the world (however, do not actually do so). Become Earth. Do this for at least a week.
4) Once you have learned to "be Earth", the next step is to control Earth (the element, not the world!). Take a moment and imagine yourself to be Earth. Bring the feeling from Step 3 into your consciousness. Next, hold your hands 9 to 12 inches apart, palms facing each other. Visualize a bottle or box between your hands. Inhale. As you exhale, visualize all of the Earth element which is in you going out with your breath and into the container between your hands. Three to five breaths is usually enough to fill it. Then, with three breaths, inhale it back into you and go back to normal consciousness.
5) This will allow you to see whether or not you really have become not only in harmony with Earth, but also if you are able to control the element.
The next time you feel lightheaded, giddy, unstable, not able to do your work, etc. (which are signs of a shortage in yourself of Earth), form your Earth container as in Step 4. Then, with one big inhalation, draw the contents of the container back into you. Within five minutes you should feel stable and grounded.
The next time you feel bloated, overweight, slowed down, etc. (which are signs of excess in yourself of Earth), again form your Earth container; only this time, visualize a large hole in the ground and drop the container into that hole. Quickly see the hole close. You should feel lighter in a few minutes, but you may have to repeat this up to five times to really feel light and energetic.
If you don't succeed at these within a few days or weeks, don't worry or get frustrated. Just keep practicing. The result of being in harmony with our Mother Earth is well worth the effort! For me, I enjoy drawing in Earth, as in Step 5, as a wonderful way to ground after performing a ritual or spell.