The Holy Bible - The New King James Version -
- At that time Jesus went through the grainfields on the Sabbath. And His
disciples were hungry, and began to pluck heads of grain and to eat.
- And when the Pharisees saw it, they said to Him, "Look, Your disciples are
doing what is not lawful to do on the Sabbath!"
- But He said to them, "Have you not read what David did when he was hungry,
he and those who were with him:
- How he entered the house of God and ate the showbread which was not lawful
for him to eat, nor for those who were with him, but only for the priests?
- Or have you not read in the law that on the Sabbath the priests in the
temple profane the Sabbath, and are blameless?
- Yet I say to you that in this place there is One greater than the temple.
- But if you had known what this means, 'I desire mercy and not sacrifice,'
you would not have condemned the guiltless.
- For the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath."
- Now when He had departed from there, He went into their synagogue.
- And behold, there was a man who had a withered hand. And they asked Him,
saying, "Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath?"--that they might accuse Him.
- Then He said to them, "What man is there among you who has one sheep, and
if it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will not lay hold of it and lift it
- Of how much more value then is a man than a sheep? Therefore it is lawful
to do good on the Sabbath."
- Then He said to the man, "Stretch out your hand." And he stretched it out,
and it was restored as whole as the other.
- Then the Pharisees went out and plotted against Him, how they might
- But when Jesus knew it, He withdrew from there. And great multitudes
followed Him, and He healed them all.
- Yet He warned them not to make Him known,
- That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Isaiah the prophet, saying:
- "Behold! My Servant whom I have chosen, My Beloved in whom My soul is well
pleased! I will put My Spirit upon Him, And He will declare justice to the
- He will not quarrel nor cry out, Nor will anyone hear His voice in the
- A bruised reed He will not break, And smoking flax He will not quench,
Till He sends forth justice to victory;
- And in His name Gentiles will trust."
- Then one was brought to Him who was demon-possessed, blind and mute; and
He healed him, so that the blind and mute man both spoke and saw.
- And all the multitudes were amazed and said, "Could this be the Son of
- Now when the Pharisees heard it they said, "This fellow does not cast out
demons except by Beelzebub, the ruler of the demons."
- But Jesus knew their thoughts, and said to them: "Every kingdom divided
against itself is brought to desolation, and every city or house divided
against itself will not stand.
- If Satan casts out Satan, he is divided against himself. How then will his
- And if I cast out demons by Beelzebub, by whom do your sons cast them out?
Therefore they shall be your judges.
- But if I cast out demons by the Spirit of God, surely the kingdom of God
has come upon you.
- Or how can one enter a strong man's house and plunder his goods, unless he
first binds the strong man? And then he will plunder his house.
- He who is not with Me is against Me, and he who does not gather with Me
- "Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but
the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men.
- Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him;
but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him,
either in this age or in the age to come.
- "Either make the tree good and its fruit good, or else make the tree bad
and its fruit bad; for a tree is known by its fruit.
- Brood of vipers! How can you, being evil, speak good things? For out of
the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.
- A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good things,
and an evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth evil things.
- But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give
account of it in the day of judgment.
- For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be
- Then some of the scribes and Pharisees answered, saying, "Teacher, we want
to see a sign from You."
- But He answered and said to them, "An evil and adulterous generation seeks
after a sign, and no sign will be given to it except the sign of the prophet
- For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great
fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of
- The men of Nineveh will rise up in the judgment with this generation and
condemn it, because they repented at the preaching of Jonah; and indeed a
greater than Jonah is here.
- The queen of the South will rise up in the judgment with this generation
and condemn it, for she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of
Solomon; and indeed a greater than Solomon is here.
- "When an unclean spirit goes out of a man, he goes through dry places,
seeking rest, and finds none.
- Then he says, 'I will return to my house from which I came.' And when he
comes, he finds it empty, swept, and put in order.
- Then he goes and takes with him seven other spirits more wicked than
himself, and they enter and dwell there; and the last state of that man is
worse than the first. So shall it also be with this wicked generation."
- While He was still talking to the multitudes, behold, His mother and
brothers stood outside, seeking to speak with Him.
- Then one said to Him, "Look, Your mother and Your brothers are standing
outside, seeking to speak with You."
- But He answered and said to the one who told Him, "Who is My mother and
who are My brothers?"
- And He stretched out His hand toward His disciples and said, "Here are My
mother and My brothers!
- For whoever does the will of My Father in heaven is My brother and sister
Back to BRI homepage
Back to TIM Audio