The Holy Bible - The New King James Version -
- Then the scribes and Pharisees who were from Jerusalem came to Jesus,
- "Why do Your disciples transgress the tradition of the elders? For they do
not wash their hands when they eat bread."
- He answered and said to them, "Why do you also transgress the commandment
of God because of your tradition?
- For God commanded, saying, 'Honor your father and your mother'; and, 'He
who curses father or mother, let him be put to death.'
- But you say, 'Whoever says to his father or mother, "Whatever profit you
might have received from me is a gift to God"--
- Then he need not honor his father or mother.' Thus you have made the
commandment of God of no effect by your tradition.
- Hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy about you, saying:
- 'These people draw near to Me with their mouth, And honor Me with their
lips, But their heart is far from Me.
- And in vain they worship Me, Teaching as doctrines the commandments of
- When He had called the multitude to Himself, He said to them, "Hear and
- Not what goes into the mouth defiles a man; but what comes out of the
mouth, this defiles a man."
- Then His disciples came and said to Him, "Do You know that the Pharisees
were offended when they heard this saying?"
- But He answered and said, "Every plant which My heavenly Father has not
planted will be uprooted.
- Let them alone. They are blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind
leads the blind, both will fall into a ditch."
- Then Peter answered and said to Him, "Explain this parable to us."
- So Jesus said, "Are you also still without understanding?
- Do you not yet understand that whatever enters the mouth goes into the
stomach and is eliminated?
- But those things which proceed out of the mouth come from the heart, and
they defile a man.
- For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries,
fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies.
- These are the things which defile a man, but to eat with unwashed hands
does not defile a man."
- Then Jesus went out from there and departed to the region of Tyre and
- And behold, a woman of Canaan came from that region and cried out to Him,
saying, "Have mercy on me, O Lord, Son of David! My daughter is severely
- But He answered her not a word. And His disciples came and urged Him,
saying, "Send her away, for she cries out after us."
- But He answered and said, "I was not sent except to the lost sheep of the
house of Israel."
- Then she came and worshiped Him, saying, "Lord, help me!"
- But He answered and said, "It is not good to take the children's bread and
throw it to the little dogs."
- And she said, "Yes, Lord, yet even the little dogs eat the crumbs which
fall from their masters' table."
- Then Jesus answered and said to her, "O woman, great is your faith! Let it
be to you as you desire." And her daughter was healed from that very hour.
- Jesus departed from there, skirted the Sea of Galilee, and went up on the
mountain and sat down there.
- Then great multitudes came to Him, having with them the lame, blind, mute,
maimed, and many others; and they laid them down at Jesus' feet, and He healed
- So the multitude marveled when they saw the mute speaking, the maimed made
whole, the lame walking, and the blind seeing; and they glorified the God of
- Now Jesus called His disciples to Himself and said, "I have compassion on
the multitude, because they have now continued with Me three days and have
nothing to eat. And I do not want to send them away hungry, lest they faint on
- Then His disciples said to Him, "Where could we get enough bread in the
wilderness to fill such a great multitude?"
- Jesus said to them, "How many loaves do you have?" And they said, "Seven,
and a few little fish."
- So He commanded the multitude to sit down on the ground.
- And He took the seven loaves and the fish and gave thanks, broke them and
gave them to His disciples; and the disciples gave to the multitude.
- So they all ate and were filled, and they took up seven large baskets full
of the fragments that were left.
- Now those who ate were four thousand men, besides women and children.
- And He sent away the multitude, got into the boat, and came to the region
Back to BRI homepage
Back to TIM Audio